Major League Baseball has released the schedule for the 2011 season. Here are the highlights for our Orioles and Nationals, and MLB: (as reported by MLB.com)
- Opening Day: Friday April 1 at Tampa Bay Rays
- Home Opener: Monday April 4 vs. Detroit Tigers
- Final Home Series: Boston Red Sox September 26-28
- Final Series: Home vs. Boston Red Sox
- Interleague Play: Cincinnati Reds (home June 24-26), St. Louis Cardinals (home), Pittsburgh Pirates (away June 20-22), Atlanta Braves (away July 1-3)
- Battle of the Beltways: Home May 20-22, Away June 17-19
- Opening Day: Thursday March 31 home vs. Atlanta Braves
- Final Home Series: September 23-25 vs. Atlanta Braves
- Final Series: September 26-28 at Florida Marlins
- Interleague Play: Seattle Mariners (home), Chicago White Sox (away), LA Angels (away)
- Battle of the Beltways: (See Orioles above)
2011 MLB Notes
- Shortened Spring Training
- Season opens on Thursday March 31 with 5 games (Mil Brewers @ Cin Reds, LA Angels @ KC Royals, Atl Braves @ Was Nationals, Det Tigers @ NY Yankees, SD Padres @ StL Cardinals). This marks the first time the season will not open on a Sunday since 1998, and opens on a Thursday for the first time since 1976.
- The Diamondbacks and Giants are trying to play a 2-game series at the end of March. This tentative and if it goes through will be the MLB season opener.
- Chicago Cubs will play at Fenway Park for the first time since 1918
- The Cardinals will visit Baltimore for the first time in baseball history. Note that the Baltimore Orioles were originally the St. Louis Browns.
- The All-Star Game will be played on July 12 at Chase Field, in Phoenix, Az.
- For the second straight year the Red Sox open against the Yankees (much to ESPN’s delight)
- Interleague Play matches the NL Central vs. AL East, the NL East vs. AL Central, and NL West vs. AL Central.
- Roy Halladay returns to Toronto July 1-3.
- The Astros will play the Blue Jays March 20-22. Blue Jays are the only team the Astros have yet to play.
- The Dodgers will play host to the Cardinals on April 15, Jackie Robinson Day.